Pages

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The Gift of Living Without

I ran out this morning to go to the grocery store, post office, and drop off something at our realtor's office. As I got Olivia into the car, I felt EXCITED. Now this might sound strange to the average ear unless you know that I have not had a car in over eight months! I put the "home" in stay at home mom these past few months. Rain or shine, bitter cold or scorching hot; Olivia and I could only travel as far as our bike would take us! The first few weeks were awful and I thought I was going to poke my eyeballs out from boredom, but slowly God taught both livi and me to be content at home. Then two weeks ago some dear friends of ours offered to let us borrow one of their cars while the husband is deployed. What a gift! I used to loathe grocery shopping and getting Olivia in and out of the car, but living without a car has taught me the joy in getting out of the house! At this point you might be wondering why in the world I am sharing this with you. What I am learning is this. Sometimes the seasons in life when God calls us to "live without" are blessings in disguise. When we have to live without something we had become accustomed to having or something that we really wanted, we learn to be content where we are. The loss of a job can open our eyes to what a gift a job is, even if we didn't enjoy it. The loss of trust in a friend can open our eyes to what a rare gift a true friend is. I have often said that the greatest thing that Samara and Nadia taught me is to truly enjoy Olivia. When I think about how I will never get to nurse them, or rock them to sleep, or even put them on timeouts; it makes me treasure the days I have with Olivia. God knows our hearts and He knows how to take even the worst of situations and teach us something Good. Whatever you're having to "live without", ask God to help you be content and then know that the best is yet to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment